Privacy and Confidentiality
Personal and sensitive information relating to farmers is to be kept private and confidential at all times and must not be discussed with any other volunteer, farmer or third party. This is so volunteers and farmers we assist have a positive experience with Outback Links and continue to trust the service.
The only exception is discussing concerns relating to the person’s wellbeing with the Outback Links Volunteer Manager so that appropriate action can be taken.
- On no occasion must information be disclosed to the press, radio/television or political parties.
- Privacy also involves respecting the client’s and resident’s right to not discuss issues they do not wish to.
- Before taking any photos, including of the farmer, their family or the property, animals, buildings or the surrounding landscape. you need to ask permission of the farmer. The farmers are under hardship and can be sensitive about photos showing the impact of drought. No photos of the people or the farm that would identify where it is can be shown without farmer’s permission. Please use the Media Consent form you will be given as part of a ‘Placement Pack’ for this.
- When talking to others when you return from your placement we ask that you talk in general terms about the property and farmers and not disclose sensitive or personal information.
You are breaching confidentiality when you:
- Reveal information that you have not asked permission to disclose.
- Revealing information that you know people would prefer to be kept confidential.
- Revealing information to people other that those to whom you have been authorised to disclose it.
Volunteers have a duty of care not to disclose confidential information unless:
- The disclosure is made under the compulsion of law; e.g. mandatory reporting of child abuse.
- It is in the interest of the client to disclose; e.g. they need medication for a health issue.
- There is a duty to the public to disclose; e.g. serious crime.
- The disclosure is made with consent of those involved; you have been told who can be informed and how.